Thursday, November 15, 2012

Trenton Artworks 10x10 Benefit Art Exhibit

Trenton Artworks
is having a fundraiser!
From the website:

"Red Dot + Artwork = Support. The Red Dot shows support of Community Arts in Trenton. Come to the Artworks Red Dot Fundraiser and put your red dot on the art that you love.
Over 100 Trenton area artists created artworks on 10″ x 10″ canvas. The work is dynamic, diverse and all created especially for Artworks. Professional, teacher and student artists created works in oil, acrylic, mixed media, photography, pastel, watercolor and more.
Each artwork sells for $100 with the funds raised going to support Artworks.
It is a chance for the novice to test the waters of the world of original art and an opportunity for the collector to build their art collection."

I am an excited to be a 
first time participant! 
 I won't be able
to attend the opening reception
because I'll be in Maryland
celebrating my 
Special Birthday
(OMG GULP)
but I will visit the 
show once I get home.
Who wants to go with me?
Here is the process behind
my piece

First, came the 
brainstorming drawing:

 
  I used
various stencils
on the canvas
while drinking wine and 
listening to jazz.
That is always 
a perfect recipe 
for creating!!
  
 Next the focal point,
a non gender head
full of healthy words,
ideas and self talk!!


 


 Fooling around with
tissue embellishments:
 

 
 



 Considering a torn tissue
heart and crayon higlights 
came next
I decided against
such a literal message.
The title of this collage is
"The Greatest of These is Love".
You know, out of all the 
positive attitudes and emotions
rolling around in our heads,
the greatest of these is, 
um, well, love.
Feel me?
I knew that you could.
I'm not feeling the 
traditional heart shape for this
and the anatomical was too harsh.
So I let that go.
I love words. I use words
in my art prolifically, so
I went with the word.      


 



Torn tissue added to background.
And a gratuitous close up,
cuz that's how I roll. 
teehee.
 
 I decided to add a piece
of vellum to
the bottom half of the figure
to give it some color.
I finished the piece with 
glossy gel medium, but
I covered the vellum piece
with matte gel. It gives the 
piece very nice contrast. 
IMHO.
  LOL   



 

 Letters on tissue 
over ekg paper.
  


 The eye and the 
background dots technique
get revealed on
my next post.
And Here it is Finished!
  


 Hope you enjoyed
seeing my process!
Please support
The Trenton Artworks!
Thanks for visiting!!
xoS



3 comments:

  1. what a great tour of your canvas...so interesting reading about your creative process...it takes extra creativity to be able to recap how your canvas came about, I can't always retrace my steps!

    bet the exhibit will be super especially with the addition of your cool LOVE canvas Susan!

    oxo
    p.s. a birthday you say...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! Wine, jazz and art making....I think that equals pure HEAVEN!
    Got Mingus on, messing with gesso and trying to get the brain cells rolling.
    Love your photos of the process and the thought behind it all.
    Wonderful!

    XXOO~~
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it! so nice to see the progress all the way through- and happy birthday! i had that one a few years ago- so far it just keeps getting better! :)

    ReplyDelete