Wednesday, July 30, 2008
Sunday, July 27, 2008
First step was picking some paper for the mermaid torso. I used scrap paper and free collage paper that was included in one of my issues of Somerset Studio magazine. The mermaid related stamps are all from Invoke Arts. One of my favorite rubber sources.
I used white ,and a color mix of my own making, embossing powders for the shell bras.
Next step was choosing the photo for the tails. I used a photo of the Sea I took while on vacation with my heart at the Outer Banks, North Carolina.
My inspiration for the tail was the stunning colors of angelina fibers I purchased during vendor night at Art and Soul. I also purchased some really cool rubber at this booth hosted by Doll Makers Ink. I used the directions from Sherrill Kahn's book, Creative Embellishments, on how to heat the fiber to make it "flat" and paper like. I highly recommend this book.
I used a teflon sheet, my iron, and a deep imprinted rubber stamp:
The rubber did not make much of an impression this time. Next time I'll use a thicker layer of fiber. I wanted an airy approach to the tail so I used a thin layer. I used the rubber tail piece as a guide to cut out the tails:
Used brads and sequins to attach all the parts together. I then use foam tape to attach the mergals to the page. Here are 3 different maids:
On the backs of the pages I embossed a Fred Mullett Sea Urchin stamp. I also listed my supplies and wrote out the whole quote by Jill Davis on transparencies. I adhered the transparencies with Glossy accents. :
Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Here are the colorwash ingredients along with water:
Next step was creating texture by layering papers and using bubble wrap:
Next step, sea sponging along the edges with Golden's Iridescent Bronze Fine paint. I'm totally addicted to this paint. When you add water to make a wash the colors seperate and you get different effects on your paper. oooooooaaaaaa.
Here are the buggers laying out to dry:
My next step was adding sticker letters. In the spirit of Using What I Have, I raided my old scrapbook supplies (egads, keep that on the DL) and found lots and lots and lots of letters. I mixed and matched and was able to finish all the pages without having to buy any!! woohoo. I played around with techniques, on some I added stickers, used rubnbuff in turquoise and white, added white gel pen outlines, on some I used the letters as masks:
added a little white gel pen for definition:
Thats all for now! stay tuned for the unfolding of my skinny page!
Sunday, July 13, 2008
Please feel free to comment/critique. Input is most welcome.
Thursday, July 10, 2008
I started with the female figure. I had no idea where I was going with this, so I began by digging through my paper stash looking for ideas and inspiration. Lo and behold after several hours flew by, I came up with this:
Also been playing around with Inchies, these should be done and posted by this weekend:
And an honorable mention goes to these 2 pieces that I've also been working on:
The above one is almost done. Below needs a lot more attention.